Between the wars, the ocean liner Cunard made Greenland Dock the home base for its A-Class liners, and they must have been quite a site coming down the Thames and turning into the lock. These liners were covered in an earlier post.
|Canon Beck Road, past and present,|
from the BermondseyBoy.net website.
Cherry Garden Street
The long vanished Cherry Gardens, which also gave their name to Cherry Garden Pier, were pleasure gardens where Londoners could come and relax in the 1700s. Samuel Pepys, who often passed through Rotherhithe on his way to the docks at Deptford, made a note in his diary of collecting cherries for his wife from the gardens.
Named for the famous book Gulliver's Travels. The author, Jonathan Swift, gave his fictional character Lemuel Gulliver a home in Rotherhithe.
King Stair Close
Named for the nearby waterman's stairs. These provided access for professional watermen and lightermen to the river frontage. There were stairs all along the Bermondsey and Rotherhithe frontage of the Thames, usually surrounded by an array of commercial buildings. Kings Stairs still exist at the top of Cathay Street.
The neeldemen were dockers who sewed up sacks of grain and other products that had been breached during cargo handling.
Russell was the surname of the Duke of Bedford. In 1695 a parcel of land on Rotherhithe was given as a wedding gift by the Howland family of Streatham to their daughter Elizabeth and her husband the Marquis of Tavistock and the future second Duke of Bedford. Together the families built the Howland Great Dock, a site that was finished in the early 1700s following the granting of an Act in its favour in 1696.
The Rotherhithe timber ponds were established to float timber imported from Canada and the Baltic. At one stage, timber accounted for 80% of all imports of cargo into Rotherhithe.