|The Prince of Orange in 2016|
The pub was named for the heir to the Dutch throne, William, the Prince of Orange (6 December 1792 – 17 March 1849) who became King William II of the Netherlands in 1840. Prior to inheriting the throne he had been a key player in the Napoleonic Wars, serving with the British Army from 1811 and becoming Aide de Camp to the Pince Regent in 1812, before being promoted to Major General in 1813, then to Lieutenant Colonel and then General. He fought at the Battle of Waterloo on 18th June 1815, where he was wounded He was affectionately known by the Duke of Wellington's staff as "Slender Billy." Although it doesn't have much to do with this story, a nice little factoid is that the Prince of Orange once travelled by train from London Bridge to Greenwich through Bermondsey, on the viaduct designed by Colonel George Landmann, shortly before the London and Greenwich Railway opened in 1836.
Its landlord for some of the 1920s was Albert Matthew Mimms who remained until he died in 1933. A photograph of the funeral taken by the funeral director shows the cortège outside the pub (see photograph to the left).
|The Prince of Orange in the 70s or early 80s|
Fortunately, it was converted into apartments, in the late 1990s, its name changed to Prince of Orange Court, and the conversion was very sympathetic to the exterior architecture, which was restored, retains the Prince of Orange title that was built into it, and looks terrific. The second floor was extended at the rear of the building to provide additional residential space, and this too was done very sympathetically, completely in keeping with the architecture of the reset of the building.
|The Big Beer Band, playing at the pub before its|
closure in the 90s. Photograph from The Big Beer Band website
|One of the apartment conversions|