Friday, July 26, 2013

Rare color film shows what London looked like in 1927

Thanks to John Willis for sending me the link to this video (nearly 6 minutes long) of rare color footage showing what London looked like in 1927.

In 1927 Claude Friese-Greene shot some of the first-ever color film footage around London. He captured everyday life in the city with a technique innovated by his father, called Biocolour.  I particularly liked the buses and the scenes of people in Petticoat Lane. 

Not Rotherhithe, of course.  It focuses on much better known areas of London, but it really is fascinating.  Weird to see a motorbus in the screen-grab, turning right across Tower Bridge Road, the route that the 188 now takes to Surrey Quays.  I've been on the 188 so many times, coming back from Russell Square, rounding that very corner on the bus, glancing out of the window at Tower Bridge before heading down  the eastern end of Tooley Street towards Jamaica Road.

I've embedded the video below, for ease of access, but my thanks to the British Film Institute for publishing it and the deathandtaxes website for drawing it to people's attention.

Be warned that there is music with it, which gets progressively louder.  I muted my volume control.


No comments: