Friday, August 29, 2008

Flowers from last Sunday

The floral effusions of May and June have steadily declined and there are much fewer plants now in flower. I miss the volume of flowers, which were at both ground and shrub level, and in some cases formed carpets of colour. Those that remain are bright dots of very welcome colour on a green and brownish background. Autumn is on its way.



This has to be a member of the campanula family, but I'm not sure which one. I would not be surprised to find that this is actually a feral variety.



Still unidentified - there are so many versions of waterlily that it could be.



Common Toadflax
Linaria vulgaris
(Scrophulariaceae)


I think that this is probably wild marjoram (Origanum vulgare) but I need to go back and check (marjoram leaves have a very distinctive aromatic scent). The habitat is certainly right for it.



Perforate St John's wort
Hypericum perforatum
Clusiaceae
Perennial

No comments: